Monday 28 April 2008

Is that it?.....

20th April - forgot my camera yesterday!


All good things must come to an end – Sunday marked the end of my 2008 ski season.

Aonach Mor on Sunday had considerably less snow in evidence than last week, but offered classic Scottish spring snow conditions – granular, loose and fast. The back Corries were open again, and although I bottled out of the cornice drop from Chancer, Alex (back from a season in France and enjoying a day on Scottish snow) managed a couple of vertical face-first drop ins.

Descending the traverse from Corrie Dubh back to the Gondala Top Station, the snow became patchy and necessitated some grass shredding, before finally running out near the Rob Roy T-Bar.

A trip to the Lakes is on the cards next weekend, and by mid-May I reckon lift served skiing will be over in Scotland. So, if this is it, what are the grand totals for 2008 skiing?

1 day at The Lecht
1 day touring in Corrie Fionn
1 evening tour of Lowther Hill!
2 days touring on the Cairngorm Plateau
3 days at Glenshee
4 days at Cairngorm
4 days at Aonach Mor
5 days at Glencoe
6 days in Slovakia
7 days in Alps
=34 days!

Probably (unquestionably, in fact) my most productive ski season ever. Also the most expensive – if an average lift pass (or the cost of hiring touring gear) is £23, I’ve spent nearly £800 on uplift this season! Bugger. If I’m still in Scotland next year, an all area pass will be a serious consideration – or maybe I’ll volunteer as ski patrol somewhere.

There is a lot of snow in sheltered areas on the hills still, so I reckon a ceremonial hike up and BBQ could be on the cards, weather permitting of course, for Midsummer's Day!

No comments: